Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The end of a trimester...the greener dawn

I am officially out of the first trimester today! Hooray! I am finally starting to feel, once again, like my non-reproducing self. The pregnancy still seems so surreal. Pregnant for months, struggling with symptoms that were my only proof I was pregnant. Knowing that soon I will feel the baby move and be able to cherish our time together. Then, giggle because soon after the discomfort of the next trimester will soon arrive.

The heightened emotions made me think a lot about finances and life. At the same time, we discover that my husband has high blood pressure. In an effort to control that, he has to eat more fruits and vegetable.My husband is quite particular about what he eats. He'll tell you he just expects it to be fresh, but the supermarket is never fresh enough. We found this site online Suburban Organics that delivers farm fresh organic produce to your door for a reasonable price. I know I sound like an advertisement, but it just fit our needs. It really does make me feel good. If my family is eating more fruits and vegetables, its nice to not have to worry about the pesticides and how it can affect us. Strangely enough, or food bill went down. Not dramatically, but  without the chips and prepared foods, the food bill lowered even with the expense of organic fruits and veggies.


Do you see the chain reaction? My husband needs to improve his health (Hell, we all do!), so, we start eating organic fruits and veggies. This got me thinking of what other changes I would like to make that I haven't done before... I started cutting up old towels for rags and using my dish towels more. I have a dishwasher, so, I should use the dishes more frequently. Cutting down on paper plates and paper towels has to lower our spending. Then, it dawned on me. Cloth diapers. Can it really be that hard? I know myself and this is up my alley. I have always wanted to use them, but I didn't know where to begin and it seemed to fit to a personality that was not me. Today was my first day. I went well. It was almost exciting... if the intrigue doesn't wear off,  baby#3 will only know cloth.

Somehow when I listen to a description of myself, I did not think THAT woman would ever be me. Yet, here I am: breastfeeding, co-sleeping, recycling, organic-eating, cloth diapering, pregnant mother of 2 going on 3. Not quite the dedicated environmental person I envisioned with Birkenstocks and hemp skirt with a carbon footprint of zero, but a Mom just trying to do what she thinks is best for her family and hoping in the end, it was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment